In many houses, it gets too hot as warm air enters from the attic. Turning on the air conditioner, you try to remove the heat from the rooms to make the living conditions more comfortable. However, at the same time, the red-hot attic continues to heat the house. Such a confrontation is expensive and does not lead to the desired results.
To create a comfortable microclimate in a dwelling, attic ventilation is needed. This measure is also necessary to maintain the strength of the roof, as well as to prevent the formation of condensate.
Solar panels are already being used to power a wide variety of equipment: from mobile gadgets to electric vehicles. Attic fans are not an exception. Their installation will save you a good amount of money: you do not need to contact an electrician for help since it is not necessary to connect any wires. In addition, your future electricity bills will only please you.
Still, you need to be well-versed when it comes to the features and specifications of these devices. Therefore, our article presents the best Top 10 solar powered attic fans on the market, as well as a consumer’s guide on what to consider when buying them.
Working principle of the solar-powered attic ventilator
Solar attic fans are environmentally friendly, as in their work the energy source is the sun, not electricity. As for the design, they consist of a mounting bracket, fan, and solar panels to power it.
The principle of operation is not different from traditional ventilators: solar-powered fans work by displacing hot air, thereby making the air temperature in the attic closer to the outside one.
Guide to buy solar powered attic fan
Because the attic ventilator requires an initial investment, it is important to understand that their efficiency and performance strongly depends on its type, along with some external factors. For example, the type and color of the roof, insulation of the house, and type of the cooling system. Therefore, when buying such a device, pay attention to several key points.
- The design and functionality of attic fans vary by manufacturers and models. They can be of different sizes, shapes, and colors.
- Attic fans can be installed on the roof, curb or gable. The choice of installation location depends on the shape of the roof (flat or pitched), the actual inclination of the roof, and directly on the attic area.
- To ensure adequate ventilation, pay attention to the venting capacity of the device. This characteristic depends on the size of the solar panel.
- Generally, the main disadvantage of attic fans is the increased noise level. Despite the fact that the latest models, judging by the ads, work quietly, if you are sensitive to noise, you should carefully consider the type of the fan. Especially if it will be placed in the immediate vicinity of the bedrooms.
- When choosing a solar attic fan, factors such as quality of materials, efficiency and manufacturer’s warranty should also be considered.
Reviews of the 10 Best Solar Powered Attic Fans
Attic solar ventilators differ in their performance, efficiency, appearance, and price. We compiled a list of the Top 10 solar-powered fans according to customer reviews (we only recommend, the final choice is always yours), and talked about the functionality of each product described below.
1. Natural Light Solar Attic Fan 36-watt
A great choice for efficient attic ventilation. This model of solar attic fans is easily installed on pitched roofs made of asphalt and fiberglass. Fans of the famous American brand Natural Light receive good reviews from builders due to their high quality. The DC motor is powered by a 36-watt solar panel. This panel can be located both in a horizontal position and at an angle of 45 degrees. For efficient attic ventilation, use one fan per 2,625 square feet of space.
- Solar power capacity: 36 watts
- Airflow: 1628 CFM
- Unit dimensions: 27.2*27.2*11.5 inch
- The easy unit installation process takes no more than an hour.
- The product has a 25-year manufacturer’s warranty.
- It is often used to ventilate attics in industrial buildings or commercial offices. Must be installed on a pre-built curb.
2. Ultra Low-Profile 24-Watt Natural Light Solar Attic Fan
The Natural Light Low-Profile 24-Watt Solar Attic Fan is not only an environmentally friendly solution but also a great way to cut down on energy costs. Working entirely on solar energy, this fan will delight you with its compact design and quiet operation. The product is easy to install without the help of a specialist: no wiring or permits needed. Operating at speeds of up to 1339 cubic feet per minute, one fan can efficiently cope with the task of ventilating rooms up to 2,100 square feet.
- Solar power capacity: 24 watts
- Airflow: 1339 CFM
- Unit dimensions: 27.2*27.2*8 inch
- DC motor helps lower vibration and motor noise.
- A 25-year manufacturer’s warranty covers all components, including the housing, engine, and solar panel.
- For extra durability, all internal and external aluminum fan components powder-coated.
- It can be installed on flat and sloped roofs coated with asphalt or tile.
- The removable solar panel can be easily replaced or repaired without replacing the entire fan.
- No wiring required works directly from the solar module. Optional thermostat sold separately.
- Mainly used for ventilation in residential buildings on flat or pitched roofs.
3. GBGS Solar Attic Fanl
This fan has repeatedly met customer expectations. Among the GBS attic fan advantages is the ability to regulate a polycrystalline solar panel, as well as a low noise level – less than 45 DB. The engine warranty is 10 years, the panel – 20 years. Another plus of the GBS fan is that its engine is thermally protected, so you should not worry about its overheating. The engine has an auto shut off feature when the temperature reaches 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Solar power capacity: 20 watts
- Airflow: 1750 CFM
- Unit dimensions: 20*20*13 inch
- Almost silent 24-volt motor is powered by a 20-watt thermostatic-controlled solar panel. The engine automatically turns on when the temperature reaches 77 degrees Fahrenheit and turns off when it drops to 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The solar panel can be adjusted horizontally (90°) and vertically (four positions: 0°, 15°, 30°, and 45°). This will allow it to catch the maximum amount of sunlight at any time of the day.
- Warranty on the solar panel is 20 years, on the motor – 10 years.
- The fan comes with a clear unit installation guide.
- Suitable for almost all types of roofs: normal sloped, asphalt shingle, wood shake, flat concrete tile or slate roofs.
4. Rand Solar Powered Attic Gable Fan
This heavy-duty fan runs at a speed of 1911 cubic feet per minute and can successfully cool the attic area of up to 2,720 square feet. It has a self-adjusting function: in the morning, when the sun is still low, the ventilator works slowly. As the sun rises, the device automatically accelerates. Thus, in the hottest period of the day, the fan runs at maximum speed and automatically turns off at night. Optionally, you can adjust the performance of the fan by installing a thermostat, which is included. After connecting it, the unit will turn on when the temperature in the attic exceeds 85 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Solar power capacity: 30 watts
- Airflow: 1911 CFM
- Unit dimensions: 23.5*18.7*8.7 inch
- Long-life, highly efficient brushless motor works in low light and cloudy weather.
- High-quality silicon polycrystalline solar panel includes an adjustable angle bracket, so you can choose the optimal angle of inclination of the panel relative to the sun.
- Robust stainless steel construction is more resistant to corrosion and durable than the steel or aluminium used by other manufacturers.
- Very low noise level.
- Great for installing on the roof of houses, garages, workshops, etc.
- Manufacturer gives a 20-year warranty.
- All wiring consists of simple quick-connect connections, so installation experience is not required.
5. Amtrak Solar Powerful 40-Watt Attic Fan
A solar gable mounted attic ventilator with ventilation capacity for cleaning warm air on attics up to 2,250 square feet. The fan also boasts a thermally protected motor designed to rotate the fan blades of galvanized steel. The package includes a thermostat and an external polycrystalline solar panel with a capacity of 40 watts. There is also no need to drill holes in the roof, as the ventilator can be easily installed through the available ventilation hole in the wall. Amtrak is one of the most trusted companies in the field in the USA and offers a 25-year warranty.
- Solar power capacity: 40 watts
- Unit dimensions: 26*15*6 inch
- Easy to install, no extra roof holes needed.
- Long service life due to thermally protected fan motor with galvanized steel blades.
- One of the most powerful solar panels among analogs (40 watts). A free optional thermostat is also available.
- A reliable American company provides a 25-year product warranty.
6. HQST Solar Powered Roof Mount Adjustable Attic Fan
The HQST solar roof attic fan is one of the most versatile options on the market, making it easy to install on almost any type of roof. Suitable for use on sloping, wooden, asphalt, metal, tile and flat roofs, this ventilator is a great addition to any building. For more efficient operation the manufacturer recommends using one unit for every 1,076 square feet of the attic. The device has a waterproof rating of IP68, brushless motor, and rust-free aluminum construction. The HQST Solar Powered Roof Mount Adjustable Attic Fan housing is a leak- and dust-proof and maintenance-free. This model is cheaper than many other attic fans. That is why this is a good correlation between price and quality.
- Solar power capacity: 30 watts
- Unit dimensions: 20.9*11*20.9 inch
- Brushless DC motor has an IP68 water protection rating.
- The integrated solar panel has a power of 30 watts. This allows maintaining a strong airflow and effectively coping with attic ventilation.
- Easily mounted practically on any type of roof.
- Robust stainless steel housing guarantees a long service life and is maintenance-free.
- For use in colder climates, an optional thermostat can be installed.
7. ECO-WORTHY 25W Solar Powered Attic Ventilator with 30W Foldable Solar Panel
The EcoWorthy brand fan is a high-performance model with a brushless motor that ensures maximum silent operation. The fan runs even at low voltage. This is a great option for areas, where there is not so much sunlight all year round, as somewhere in the south. Another undeniable advantage of this model of solar attic fans is the fact that its panel is folding. The shell of the device is made of super durable 304 stainless steel, the solar panel is polycrystalline, and the engine has a life of more than 10,000 hours. This ventilator is very quiet and at the same time very efficient. In addition, it is one of the easiest to install. The EcoWorthy fan comes with a 16-foot solar cable and special brackets. Therefore, it is almost ready to go.
- Solar power capacity: 30 watts
- Unit dimensions: 15.2*14.5*9.8 inch
- This attic fan with a power of 25 watts is equipped with a brushless motor for smooth and most importantly silent operation.
- The fan is able to efficiently ventilate an attic area of 2,200 square feet.
- Blades of the device are made of high-strength aluminum, and the shell is made of high-quality stainless steel.
- The fan is equipped with a pre-installed 8-inch cable with a connector for easier connection to the solar panel.
- 30-watt polycrystalline solar panel for this fan is foldable. A mounting bracket is included with the panel.
8. Solar Roof Vent – Solar Attic Fan – Solar RoofBlaster with Black Vent
The penetration of heat and moisture into the attic not only reduces the comfort of living in such a house but also significantly reduces the life of your roof. This product is the perfect choice for ventilating your home, garage, garden shed, utility room, greenhouse, and even your dog’s booth. The Solar RoofBlaster Fan comes pre-installed on a black 8″ metal RVO38 roof vent with flashing (17″x17″). The 3-watt solar panel is mounted with four special stainless steel clips. The service life of the fan is 50,000 hours.
- Solar power capacity: 3 watts
- Airflow: 39 CFM
- Unit dimensions: 16.5*16.5*6 inch
- Works 24 hours a day, in both rain and clear weather (passive ventilation).
- Easy to install (installation does not require access to the attic).
- The service life of the fan is 50,000 hours (15 years, 9 hours a day)
- The manufacturer recommends using one fan for every 600 square feet of roof area. For an average house in 1,200 square feet, 3-5 units are needed.
9. Broan 345SOWW Surface Mount Solar Powered Attic Ventilator
Improve your home with the Broan Solar Powered Attic Ventilator. This device boasts a 28-watt solar panel that does an excellent job of capturing sunlight to efficiently convert it into electricity. Thanks to this fan, your attic will always be cool and dry. The maximum speed is 537 cubic feet per minute. The 12-inch diameter, one-piece, aluminum 5-blade fan effectively cools the living area, extending the life of the air conditioner and saving energy and money. An interesting design creates an attractive, unobtrusive addition to the roof of your year. Installation is quick and easy. It is also possible to additionally install a thermostat that turns off the engine when the temperature drops below 50 degrees. This will extend the life of the engine.
- Solar power capacity: 28 watts
- Airflow: 537 CFM
- Unit dimensions: 2.6*2.4*0.8 inch
- 28-watt solar panel allows the fan to accelerate to a speed of 537 CFM, providing year-round roof protection for your home.
- Durable solar panel made of tempered glass withstands even large hail, so you can be sure of its reliability, functionality and attractive appearance.
- Shell is made of UV-stabilized, dyed, durable ABS plastic resistant to hail and does not fade.
- Direct-current, variable voltage motor is well balanced for superior performance and quiet operation over many years.
10. Remington 30 Watt Solar Attic Fan
The appearance of this model of a 30-watt solar attic fan in your life will allow you to successfully ventilate up to 2,500 square feet of space. The most important feature of the Remington Solar Attic Fan is the manufacturer’s unlimited warranty. This solar attic fan is also Texas Windstorm certified. At an additional cost, it is possible to install a hygrostat and a thermostat. The thermostat operates at temperatures above 80 degrees and automatically turns off when the temperature drops below 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Solar power capacity: 30 watts
- Airflow: 1550 CFM
- Unit dimensions: 25*25*12 inch
- Powerful, virtually silent 24 volt DC motor.
- High quality efficient polycrystalline solar panel.
- Resistant to hail and adverse climatic conditions design.
- The fan housing is made of powder-coated steel and the blades are made of polyvinyl.
- Lifetime warranty on parts and manufacturer defects included.
- The simple installation process takes up to an hour.
- It is possible to pre-install a hygrostat and a thermostat (for an additional fee).
Now that you have learned about the ten best attic solar fans on the market, you can make the best decision for your attic. Enjoy staying in a cool room even in the hot summer without stress due to huge electricity bills by upgrading the ventilation system of your home. Having bought the best fan at a bargain price, you can calmly breathe out, as you made your attic much safer. It is also a step towards the successful reduction of utility costs, such as electricity for air conditioning. Your new acquisition will help you save energy and become part of the solar revolution.