Many people travel on their minivan, looking for pleasant experiences and beautiful landscapes. This is a good leisure option to help you spend time with your family and friends. Unfortunately, not every campsite or parking place is equipped with everything necessary for electricity and other needs. By using solar panels you can solve this problem very quickly. Let’s look at the most profitable and interesting portable solar systems in 2020.
The Best RV Solar Panels & Kits
1. Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts RV Solar Panel Kit
- Designed for off-grid solar panel system, Caravan, RV, boat, Green house Solar panel system. Mono-crystalline Solar Cell efficiency: 21%
- Corrosion-resistant aluminum frame for extended outdoor use, allowing the panels to last for decades as well as withstand high winds (2400PA) and snow loads (5400PA)
- This kit includes our adventurer 30A PWM flush mount charge controller can charge the Battery quickly and safely under almost any condition
- Order will be delivered in multiple packages; bypass diodes minimize power drop caused by shade and ensure excellent performance in low-light environments
- Complete kit includes: (1) Renogy 100 watt 12 volt Mono-crystalline Solar panel (2) adventurer Li 30A PWM flush mount charge controller (3)30 ft 10AWG MC4 adapter kit (4)16 ft 10AWG tray cable (5)bt-1 Bluetooth module(6) one Renogy cable entry housing.
The Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts is one of the best solar panels on the market. Here you get a whole range of 100 W batteries and solar panels that provide high load and stable power flow. Thanks to this, you can count on connecting various devices and the ability to organize a network name anywhere. High-quality impact-resistant glass and aluminum housing are not subject to corrosion, which positively affects durability. This panel also has special short circuit protection.
- Corrosion-resistant aluminum frame
- Remote temperature and voltage sensors
- Multiple power options
- Monocrystalline solar efficiency: 18.4%
- 5400 Pa and 2400Pa resistance against snow and wind loads
- 6 ft 10 AWG tray cable
2. WindyNation 400 Watt RV Solar Panel Kit
- Please Note: The WindyNation 400W Solar Kit is shipped in one large box. You must completely remove the solar panels from the package to locate the accessories (charge controller, cable, connectors and mounting brackets).
- Complete kit includes: (4pcs) 100 Watt Polycrystalline WindyNation Solar Panels, Premium 30-Amp (user adjustable) LCD Display Solar Charge Controller with Battery Temperature Sensor, 40 feet of UL Listed 12 AWG Solar Cable, all necessary connectors, all necessary mounting hardware and Installation Manual.
- PWM Solar Charge Controller has user adjustable settings! LCD Screen shows system amperage, voltage, amp-hours, temperature and DC load draw. See Image in photo gallery for all LCD Screen readouts.
- Kit will provide on average 1600 Watt Hours (Wh) or 135 Amp hours of charge per day (depends on sunlight availability)
- 5 year solar panel warranty. 25 year power output warranty. 1 year warranty on all other included components.
The WindyNation 400 Watt is another worthy representative of the RV solar kits solar panel market. Here you will find a whole set of switches, adapters and an indicator panel with the necessary data. It is worth noting that dressing has a charge controller, special MC4 connectors and can work in low light conditions or temperature extremes. You can count on the stable operation of the battery and whether it is possible to charge various devices.
- The kit will produce approximately 1600 Wh or 135 Ah charge per day.
- Anodized aluminum and stainless steel mounting brackets
- Perfect for 12 V or 24 V battery charging
- Dimensions: 101.6 x 3 x 67.7 inches
- Weight: 80 pounds
- 5-year solar panel product warranty
3. SUAOKI 150W 18V RV Solar Panel Kit
- MONOCRYSTALLINE & STRONGER ABSORPTION: Compared to traditional solar panels, the monocrystalline solar - powered charger with DF technology has better stability, stronger low light absorption capacity, so sunlight absorption time will be longer every day and has 100W high output and up to 20 percent efficiency
- OFF-GRID SYSTEM: This solar pannel can be connected to support parallel, series, or a combination of the two in multiple ways. It generates maximum system power of 600W (6 units) ; assemble the solar panels more freely to get the voltage, current and wattage you need.
- BENDABLE PANEL: SUAOKI 100W flexible solar panel is bendable up to 30 degrees so that you can install it on uneven and bent surfaces conveniently. It can be coveniently mounted on a curved roof, RV, travel trailer, marine, van, truck, boat, cabin, tent or any other irregular surface, can also be used for mining
- SUPERIOR DURABILITY:The water resistant semi-flexible solar panel is far more durable than traditional glass and aluminum models and is ideal for RVs, boats, tight spaces or crowded areas
- POWERFUL & LIGHTWEIGHT: This solar panel packs 100W of power yet only weighs 5.3 lbs ; makes transport, hanging and removal easier. It has a unique frameless design and four metal reinforced mounting holes for easy installation.
The SUAOKI 150W 18V RV is one of the best portable power supplies that have a flexible structure and frameless design to simplify transportation and installation in any location. It is worth noting that the case is made according to the IP65 standard and is completely waterproof. This is a convenient battery for camping which has small parameters and is suitable for all travel enthusiasts.
- Water-resistant module with IP65 protection
- The frameless design with four mounting holes
- Includes PET layer for scratch protection
- Dimensions: 55 x 29 x 3 inches
- Net weight: 13.35 pounds
- Power output: 150 W
4. ECO-WORTHY 100 Watt
- Under ideal light conditions,the daily output up to 0.5 kwh
- Basic component for off-grid solar panel system, caravan, RV, boat, Green house solar panel system
- Controller can handle up to 360W(12V system)or 720W(24V system)
- This solar panel have a great performance on cloudy day
- Warranty-1 Year product warranty;Worry-Free Return;Professional customer service team,feel free to ask
The ECO-WORTHY 100-Watt is a relatively inexpensive RV solar panel. Stylish case with anti-corrosion coating made according to the ip65 standard which is suitable for extreme conditions. The 20-ampere battery is well suited for powering various devices and is protected against short circuit. There are also USB ports for smartphones and tablets as well as a convenient solar cable for mounting to various devices.
- Corrosion-resistant aluminum frame
- IP-65 junction box protection
- 4 stage charging
- Power output: 100 W
- 12/24 V battery bank charging
- Antireflection coated glass included in the polycrystalline solar panel
5. ALLPOWERS 18V 12V 100W
- Monocrystalline Solar Cell：Top ranked PTC rating; high module conversion efficiency; fast and inexpensive mounting, you will get greater power efficiency even though the panel is no larger than a traditional model.
- Supior Durability: The water resistant semi-flexible solar SunPower panel is far more durable than traditional glass and aluminum models; The junction box is sealed and waterproof
- Bendable Panel: The plastic back sheet can be curved to a maximum 30 degree arc and mounted on an RV, boat, cabin, tent, car, trucks, trailers or any other irregular surface
- Powerful and Lightweight: This solar panel packs 100W of power, but it only weighs a mere 4.1bs(1.9kg), making it easier to transport, hang and remove; Unique frameless design and four metal reinforced mounting holes for easy installation
- What you get: 100W bendable monocrystalline solar panel, instruction manual, 18-month guarantee and friendly customer service
The ALLPOWERS 100-Watt is one of the leaders in the flexible panel market and offers a more efficient energy storage system. On average, this figure is 21% higher than that of competitors. While the panel weighs only 2 kg and you can bend the structure at an angle of 30 degrees to obtain the best efficiency. The kit includes metal holes for fasteners and completes the protection of the case from external influences. Output power alas 50W will allow you various devices.
- Bendable up to 30 degrees
- Blocking diode included in the junction box
- Efficiency: 21%
- Weight: 2kg
- Power output: 100 W
6. Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Off-Grid
- Mono-crystalline panels come with high-efficiency cells. Cell efficiency: Eclipse Mono-crystalline: 22%
- Sleek design and a durable frame, The Rangy premium 100 watt 12 volt Mono-crystalline panel provides you with the highest efficiency per area and is the perfect item for off-grid applications.
- Rover charge controller brings peak conversion efficiency of 98%, high tracking efficiency of 99%
- IP65 rated junction box provides complete protection against environmental Particles and low pressure water jets
- Complete kit includes: (1) Rangy 100 watt 12 volt Eclipse Solar panel (2) 20A mph Rover controller(3)z-brackets(4)adaptor kit(5)tray cable(6) Bluetooth module
The Renogy 100 Watt 12 Volt Off Grid RV is a kit that includes a 100 Watt solar panel and a dedicated charge controller that is more efficient than competitors. Water protection, a charge controller and the ability to track maximum power allow this module to charge various devices with high efficiency. An adapter for various devices allows you to charge electrical devices more efficiently.
- MPPT solar charge controller for maximum power performance
- IP-65 rated junction box
- Anti-reflective and low-iron tempered glass
- 99% tracking efficiency of the charge controller
- Solar panel efficiency: 18.35%
- Power output: 100 W
7. KOMAES 200 Watts Polycrystalline
- High Energy Conversion: 2×100W Domestic and industrial PV solar panel with highly efficiency Solar Cell Technology which provide better performance in low light environment. Ideal output: 1000 watt-hour per day (Depend on sunlight availability).
- Superior Durability & Excellent performance: Withstand snow load (up to 5400pa) and high wind(2400pa). High-resistant aluminum, premium panel quality provide long service time up to 25 years. Top Quality & Grade A .
- Easy installation : Pre-drilled holes on aluminum frame make fast mounting and securing and the PV panel diodes are pre-installed in junction box.
- Convenient to upgrade: Multiple panels can be wired in series to maximum of 400Watts for battery charging or for grid-tied applications. The kit includes1 x 20Am PWM solar charge controller, 1 pair 20ft tray cables, 1 pair 20ft MC4 solar cables, 2 sets Z mounting brackets, 1 pair Branch Connectors.
- Quality guarantee: Solar Panel: 25 years power output warranty & 5 years material & workmanship warranty. Accessories Warranty: 1 year material & workmanship warranty
The KOMAES 200 Watts 12Volts polycrystalline is a kit that consists of two steel batteries and a sturdy aluminum frame. The system is equipped with all necessary adapters and an indicator panel that allows you to track all the basic parameters. You can count on usability and 20 Amp output. In general, this panel is a universal solution on the market that offers high-efficiency electricity production.
- Tempered glass with 93% light transmittance
- Anodized aluminum frame
- Drainage holes included in the borders of the frame
- Power Output: 100 W
- Dimensions: 1200 x 550 x 35 mm
- Weight: 8.2 kg
How Do Such Solar Kits Work?
RV Solar Kit is your source of autonomous energy and helps to power various gadgets while traveling. As conducted this kit contains several electronic devices including a solar panel. This device converts sunlight into electricity that powers your gadgets. The highest quality panels consist of single-crystal wafers. They are more efficient and allow your panels to work longer. Polycrystalline variants are slightly less effective than the previous version.
This design is popular among many people because it provides flexibility and compactness. Of course, you will have to pay less efficiency than a fixed device, but this may be important for you.
They generate electricity but require a deep cycle battery connection. It allows you to save the generated energy in order to use it throughout the day and evening. k also provides resistance to stress and other factors. You can use lead-acid batteries or flooded models. The first option is very sensitive to temperature changes and has a number of nuances like constant recharging and other features.
You also need a charge controller that sets the rated voltage in order to stabilize the current under the needs of various devices. You can use PWM or MPPT charge controller for your system. The first allows for higher energy output and is more efficient. Some controllers may not be included with your equipment. It is also worth buying an inverter. It is an energy converter that helps you become the link between the solar panel and household appliances.
How Well Do RV Solar Panels Work?
Most RV solar panels have high efficiency and are quite effective in the field. Flexible panels can be mounted on various surfaces or the roof of your car. They are very transportable and perform well under various conditions. Nevertheless, they have a number of disadvantages, such as the lack of air circulation under the lower part. This results in heat loss and shorter service life. Manufacturers give a guarantee of 2 years for most of these products and the average working time is about 5 years.
Models with a fixed body are designed for up to 30 years and are more effective in everyday use. They withstand heavy loads due to tempered glass and an aluminum body. It is worth noting that the first option is very convenient for transportation while the rigid panels are suitable for stationary use or for those who are ready to endure inconvenience for the sake of greater productivity.
How Much Power can They Run?
Most RV solar panels differ in their design and power. On average, you can print several devices at once from the charge of one battery. The average, the use of a 200-watt kit is enough to fully charge the battery for 50 Ah; you should understand that the power of the average device is enough to power the refrigerator, TV and various gadgets. You should calculate the power depending on these devices that you want to connect. In general, this is a fairly autonomous solution that provides more than 125 Ah per day.
How Many Panels Do You Need?
The specific number of panels that will be required to connect to your electrical appliances depends on your needs. Some campers use only the fridge for several gadgets in the minivan while traveling. Other people connect many technological devices that require electricity. You should also consider the fact of location. The sun shines much brighter in some states, so the amount of energy generated may vary.
Rely on this fact and the need to power all your devices at the same time. an average of 1-3 panels will be enough to cover all the basic needs of the average user. If you have more devices, then you have to buy more panels.
What Size Panel Do You Need?
Most RV panels on the market have 100-watt and 200-watt sizes. If such indicators are not enough for you, you can use additional modules with small dimensions with a power of 50 watts. This will provide you with the power you need in small sizes. In general, you can install which panel on the roof of your minivan or apartment building. You should take into account the configuration of the place where you will mount the panels. On average, 100 kW panels measure 1100 x550 mm. Based on this indicator and calculate the necessary parameters.
How Do You Install It?
After the acquisition, you need to install the kit with a solar panel where it will serve you every day. You need to follow some basic steps for the whole process to happen correctly.
Check all components, controllers, and mounting hardware. Boards and cables should be in order, as should batteries. Check all trim levels and tilt levels to maximize solar power. Next, you need to attach the mounting brackets to which your panel will be installed. Make preliminary measurements of the module and draw a diagram where you want to install each solar panel. A detailed diagram will help you determine all the times and correctly fix each component of the solar kit.
The charge controller should be placed closer to the batteries to minimize energy loss. You need to mount the panel and the charge controller nearby and also decide on the wires that will be let through the body of your minivan. Install DC breakers. You will need to mount the fuses and the battery pack and then connect all the elements in your instructions. Now a waterproof plate is being installed and a hole for fasteners is being drilled. as soon as you complete the final installation, you can connect the solar panel and start generating electricity.
How Do You Ground the Solar Panels?
Every electricity system even portable options even portable solar panels needs grounding. This is done in order to minimize the possibility of electric shock and organize the effective operation of your device. You can also provide protection against sudden Surges. And you need to install grounding for each electrical module and drill holes for connecting to the highway. This will allow you to install a fast, effective grounding that will work in your fault, fault, or any other in the van. This is a guarantee of the performance and durability of your RV panel.
How Do You Test Them?
Testing any solar panel is done using a multimeter.
You need to pay attention to the maximum voltage output and the maximum electric current of the solar panel. The first indicator is responsible for the maximum output voltage and the second is the maximum electric current that your solar panel can generate. All of these values are on the back of your device. Use a digital multimeter to make quick measurements and determine how accurate the indicators are.
How Do You Winterize Them?
If you use your battery in winter, you need to turn the solar panels at an angle of 30 degrees to the source of sunlight. It is an efficient way to store energy. If you want to dismantle the panel, then you need to disconnect all the modules and cover your solar panel with a special black protective cloth. It will prevent the generation of electricity will allow your equipment to winter. The battery also needs to be prepared for wintering.
You should maintain a charge and not discharge the battery more than half. Before you go to the winter period, you need to complete the 4 stage charging. Recharge your battery once every two months to maintain its full charge.
How Do You Protect Them From Hail?
Most RV solar panels have tempered glass or durable material that acts as a shield for each device. This means that most panels can withstand direct exposure to hail, snow, and corrosion. You can use special additional frames or foam to protect your device from hail or other weather conditions. Practice shows that this is an excessive precaution and you just need to ensure your solar panel.